Ho Hum or Hell Yeah?!
Clarifying the question about “The Mysteries of the Rosary” – am putting this in writing as it can be confusing for some Catholics and non.
1. There are 4 total Mysteries: Joyful, Luminous, Sorrowful and Glorious but many Catholics say there are 5 and why is that?
2. Each Rosary is made up of 5 decades, 5 mini mysteries within each mystery of the Rosary. The five JOYFUL MYSTERIES The five LUMINOUS MYSTERIES The five SORROWFUL MYSTERIES The five GLORIOUS MYSTERIES – For example, the Joyful Mystery has 5 Joyful Mysteries or stories within.
When you pray the Rosary on the day that the Joyful Mystery lands on, you would pray the Joyful Mystery 5 times. You would mediate on 5 different Joyful Mysteries and say 10 Hail Marys each time.
It would look like this: 1st decade or 1st Joyful Mystery: Mediate on “The Annunciation” 2nd decade or 2nd Joyful Mystery: “The Visitation” 3rd decade or 3rd Joyful Mystery: “The Birth of Jesus” 4th decade or 4th Joyful Mystery: “The Presentation” 5th decade or 5th Joyful Mystery: “The Finding of the Child Jesus in the Temple” So in effect, 5 Joyful Mysteries within The Joyful Mystery 🙂
3. Essentially based on simple math, there are 20 total mysteries if you multiply the main mysteries by the 5 decades/categories per Rosary.
4. Below is a simple table of Rosary mysteries and days the Rosary is prayed during ordinary time:
- Sunday – Glorious Mysteries of the Rosary
- Monday – Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary
- Tuesday – Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary
- Wednesday – Glorious Mysteries of the Rosary
- Thursday – Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary
- Friday – Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary
- Saturday – Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary
Thanks for joining me today! We covered a lot of topics! Thanks for sticking around!