Coincidence or God wink, that my friend Nancy from “My Everyday Challenges” would challenge me ten days ago to come up with a list of simple pleasures and that it would just sit in my “to do list” until today.
“It’s the simple things in life that make me happy” is not just some sappy slogan – it is a way of life for me. I’m “girl glass half-full” and the ultimate optimist… most of the time. Like anyone else – I have my moments and today I’m stumbling upon this ask just when I need it the most. Today I need to be reminded of those little things that make me smile. And so, challenge accepted Nancy!
My happy place, in no particular order:
- Rocky Road ice cream
- Reruns of Seinfeld
- Cat memes
- Will Ferrell
- Random love notes from my kiddos
- The sound of my cats’ purring when I rub their head
- Those songs that make you want to jump up and dance, like Prince’s “Let’s Go Crazy”
- Wax melts — yaaas, especially those seasonal ones, hello pumpkin spice!
- Walking into Kirklands, happy sensory overload
- Mass, specifically that moment when the priest hold up the Holy Eucharist, wow!
- Having a public #blondmoment that is like super obvious, consequently laughing at myself
- Making eye contact with some handsome stranger
- The 80s – music, feathered hair, shoulder pads, Molly Ringwald 🙂
- Vegging out on the sofa after a tough week
- And the occasional “Friday to Sunday shut in”
- The Beach, but in particular La Barceloneta, Areyns de Mar take me away…..
- The sound of rumbling waves competing to hit the shore
- Fire works everyday, all day please!!
- Family Feud reruns and Richard Dawson stealing kisses
- Coffee, good coffee not that Starbucks stuff
- Getting my lashes on right the first time
- Fresh manicure, stiletto nails
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off – final scene Bueller looks into the camera and asks, “you’re still here, it’s over, go home”
- Man Hands (LOL can’t even write those words without snickering)
- Gardenias, for their smell
- Orchids, their beauty
- Watching “The Price is Right” on a random day off takes me back to being a kid
- Sunsets, glorious end of day
- Early morning runs in the Fall through Phil Hardberger Park
- Dad jokes
- Little Johnny jokes
- Spring Break, Summer Flashbacks to South Padre Island
- Zoning out
- My weekend go-to lounge wear: leopard leggings and soft sweatshirt
- Bravo TV binging
- Judge Judy – she’s one wise old owl, “If it doesn’t make sense, it’s usually not true”
- Being a kid, wanting to be 14 again – Dad is alive, Mom is in the kitchen and my little brother is outside on his “green machine”
- Old SNL – when humor was lighthearted and not at someone else’s expense, “Land shark!”
- That book that brings you to tears in public, remembering the first time I read “The Notebook” on a flight
- Afternoon stroll through Barcelona, not a care in the world just taking in the “majestic-ness” of it all
- A good Albarino or Tempranillo
- The smell of expensive perfume…… mmmmm
- Seeing random blogger love on Twitter from complete strangers!
- My best friend – he is crazy and loves me despite my craziness LOL
- Fitting into an old pair of jeans
- Riding bikes in the summer time to the Country Club
- Playing Rummy with my mom
And suddenly I feel like I could go on and on adding to that silly list. Really does put some perspective on your day when you are able to reflect on “what’s important now.” Thanks Nancy!
Does anything resonate with you? What puts a smile on your face? Leave me a comment and share away!
(Psttt blogger friends beware, I’ll be tagging some of you on this amazing exercise in mindfulness!)